A Program Designed for YOUR Future
Transitions for Life Foundation’s NEW START PROGRAM is dedicated to providing rental opportunities to those who have challenges in the rental market. Many industry-standard guidelines have skewed the approval process to the benefit of those without major life challenges and leaving others without options.
Through this program, challenged credit, previous evictions, and criminal backgrounds are limited in use to determine eligibility. Your circumstance is not an indication of your personal value or worth, but a snapshot of a time in your life when things might have been a little difficult. We believe that no one should be denied housing based on poor credit history, an earlier eviction, or a felony conviction.
Through our program, we give individuals and families a “new start” for life and provide a safe and stable living environment for those who need it most.
"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
- Evictions must be 3-years old.
- Recent evictions (less than 3 years) require an additional deposit
- Program fee $50
- Felony convictions accepted (all registered sex offenders must disclose status)
- Payments from outside agencies accepted
- All applicants can apply for a any property as long as rental amount does not exceed 30% of income (Note: all considerations made at the time of application will remain for the life of the lease and lease renewals, unless upgrading to new property)
- All deposits are $500 regardless of property selection
- Applicants with recent evictions must pay a deposit of $800
- 30-Day notice for termination of lease
- Must attend one of the quarterly financial literacy and budgeting classes within 90-days of move-in
- All utilities must be turned over into the resident’s name prior to move-in
- 3,6,12-month leases available *3-month lease requires additional $50 per month
- Rent is increased by $25.00 per year and capped at $75.00 for the life of the lease
- Early termination fee of lease is $500.00 unless:
- Lost a job
- Military Service
In the case of the above-mentioned exceptions, the refundable portion of the security deposit will be retained, but no termination fee will be charged.
If a resident participating in the New Start Program would like to purchase their rental, they will be required to enroll in the Freedom Credit Solutions Program. Once a resident has completed the program, they will have the option to purchase their rental. The deposit and last month’s rent will be credited to the down payment of the home.
For more information please contact our New Start Program Director, Akeeta Free at 816-410-9252 x 3 or by email at AFree@transitions4life.net.